From 1913 until 1960, the University of Michigan's botanical gardens were located one block east of the corner of E Stadium and S Industrial, on property that is now Woodbury Gardens apartments. At the time of the move to Dixboro Rd, many of the important specimen trees were moved, but there remain a handful of unusual large trees worth visiting.
The odd hickory growing between the pecans is curious-looking but admittedly not very beautiful. Rumor has it that it is Carya laciniosa, shellbark hickory, a species recognizable in part by its exceptionally large nuts and large winter buds. Michiganflora.net reports that it grows on river banks and in rich floodplain forests in the counties to the south, east and west of us, but not in Washtenaw County itself.